Thursday, 1 September 2011

Bandana Bib Free Tutorial

Baby B had a mammoth three hour nap this lunchtime which gave me the chance not only to pack for his first trip to the Continent tomorrow, but also to put together the Mrs Biddle's Bandana Bib tutorial. These are mega easy and quick to make and really inexpensive too.

MRS BIDDLE'S BANDANA BIBS
What you need ...
  • Cotton fabric for the top
  • Fleece or terry towelling for the backing - I've used fleece here as it's what I could buy in Bath. It works well at not letting any moisture through from the top layer, and is nice and soft too.
  • Pattern
  • 1.5" strip of velcro (or you could use nickel free poppers/snaps - they just didn't have any on Bath's Guildhall Market!)
  • Contrasting thread
  • Pins
  • Iron
  • Fabric pencil
  • Scissors

one. Download the pattern and cut out. Place the straight line on the fold of your backing and front fabrics, draw round and cut out adding an extra 5mm seam allowance (as shown below).
two. Iron and pin the two fabrics facing right sides together.
three. Sew round the entire shape, 5mm from the edge. Backstitch at either end and leave a gap for turning through. In this picture, I've left the gap at the very top, but after a bit of trial and error, I think it's easier to pop this gap further down one side so have marked this on my pattern. This strap can be the underneath one anyway so no one will see it!
four. Turn the whole bib through the gap you left.
five. Pin close the gap and iron the whole thing flat.
six. Top stitch round the entire shape - contrasting thread looks lovely here. This top stitching will also close up your gap.
seven. Pin your velcro on - one strip on the top side, one on the backing. Sew this on, backstitching at the start and end to make it secure. OR if you're using poppers, attach these now. If you did any dodgy sewing and turning where your gap was, make this the bottom part of the fastening and no one will ever see it!
eight. Pop it on a teething child. Watch them dribble all over your lovely fabrics. Pat yourself on the back.

If you do make a Mrs Biddle Bandana Bib using this pattern & tutorial, I'd love to see your creations. Please leave me a link to your blog post or flickr photo on my comments bit. Ta muchly, and happy sewing. x
Here are a couple of others I ran up in the same batch.

30 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs Biddle! Thank you for leaving such an awesome comment on my blog with such handy info in. Can I say that I got very excited when I saw you were from Bath? Maybe lamely so! When the majority of my blogger buddies live across the world it's rather cool to find one right on my doorstep.
    Excellent bib demo - i'm going to whip some up myself, that's for sure. I figure you can never have too many bibs. And we'll definitely be heading to the shop in Bristol you recommended too.
    You have a lovely blog here and i'm looking forward to reading through all your archives for more handy inspiration. Plus your little one is the cutest thing, with a fantastic name.
    Really lovely to meet you and thanks again for leaving a comment on my little blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant - dont know how you find time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used your pattern to sew some bandana bibs :)
    http://rosanaehzimmer.blogspot.de/2012/05/halstucher.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look fab - so glad the tutorial was useful. Thanks so much for sharing the photos with me. Mrs B x

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! I've bought a couple of these and think they're far better than your average bib, but my husband might divorce me if I spend any more money on them! This way I'll reduce my fabric stash, which will also please him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I just discovered your blog after doing a google search for dribble bib patterns, and I have to echo Nell's comment and say that I am delighted to see that you live in Bath - I seem to find so few British blogs compared to the number of American ones out there - and it's even more exciting that you live in Bath as I live in Bristol and go to Bath fairly frequently! I'm just about to order some Liberty fabrics to make some of these dribble bibs for a friend. Thanks for the very clear tutorial : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, thanks for your email. It's nice isn't it to find people in blog land who are a little closer to home. I find it a good way to find out about things that are going on in the area too. Have fun making the dribble bibs - a lucky new baby to get some in Liberty prints! x

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial.En my blog you will see the bandana made ​​by me.
    thanks,
    Gracias ,saludos desde Barcelona,españa

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm totally new at sewing but actually managed to make one of these. They're SO cute. Quick question though: if I were to make a larger one, would I add fabric to all sides of the pattern, or maybe just make the neck piece longer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aisha, Congratulations on sewing these up. They're dead easy aren't they? To make a larger one, I think I'd just make the neck piece longer as that will increase the size of the neck hole. If you increased all three sides, the bib might get a bit large and unwieldy on a baby I think. Hope that works - I think I need to relook at the pattern as a couple of people have said they come up a bit small. I think my little boy must have had a very small neck as a baby! x

      Delete
  8. Thank you for supplying this pattern - about to cut out the first of many and check the sizing for the dribbliest kid ever (her twin sister is not a dribbler.) I love your part of the world! Best wishes from the beautiful Blue Mountains Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barbara, Thanks for getting in touch and hope the pattern goes well. I've had feedback from a couple of people that it can come up a little small on some babies - I think my little boy had rather thin neck and although he was a good chubby baby, that part of him was always rather svelte! So definitely worth a check and the pattern is dead easy to cut out a little bigger if it comes up too small.
      Mrs Biddle x

      Delete
  9. I have made a few for drooling babies and the mom's love them!! Here is a link to a Christmasy one I recently made. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66503792@N06/11075566533/ Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for such a great tutorial. Can't wait to try this out Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made a couple to your pattern and they're great. The baby that I made them for has yet to be born but I doubt the neck is small - it fits round both of my children's necks and they are 5 and 2.5! Thanks for a great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made some for my nephew, and added a few inches to the length since he is larger than average. See them here: http://starb37.blogspot.com/2014/04/sewing-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a very nice tutorial! Very well said and done, congratulations. The steps are so simple and very easy to follow. Awesome choices of fabric and cool colors. I like the brown one, it is so nice. For sure many aspiring baby bib maker will definitely learn from this tutorial. Thank you for sharing this with us and you did a very great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice descriptive Article!!!
    Have a look for stylish Bandanas..
    http://forgedemperor.com/product-category/accessories/bandanas/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have had this tutorial pinned to my baby sewing pinterest board for a while and now that I am ready to make up a few (a lot!) for my sweet boy due in January I can't seem to download the pattern template! I have a google account so I don't think it is a problem with me. Has it somehow disappeared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, Thanks for the heads up that the link to the pattern had stopped working. I think I've rectified this - let me know if it still doesn't work. Happy sewing, Mrs B x

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes it works ... I can make a start, yay!

      Delete
  17. I came searching for a bandana bib pattern and yours is the first one that appealed to me... and my name is Biddle! Ha! Many thanks for a lovely pattern :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pattern - thank you for sharing it with your readers. I love the simplicity of your pattern and it was so quick to make. I made a few for my new granddaughter. What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing tutorial, Thank you so much for sharing. I am curious how much fabric of each of the front and back pieces is needed to make one of these?
    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. You don't need very much fabric for these. I just measured an old one and the final thing is about 22cm wide by 27cm tall. So you'd probably get away with a 30x30cm square.

      Delete
  20. Really like your work and must appreciate your all stuff.
    bibs with snaps

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable blog.I am really impressed from your talent.
    baby scarf bibs

    ReplyDelete